Tuesday, December 06, 2005

A Little Self-Reflection

I used to prize myself for my great ability to consider other people's situations. But after tonight, I have to revaluatethat proposition. I called Charmaine at 10:45pm tonight and her dad did not sound happy at all. He asked me if I know what time it is, and told me that Charmaine is asleep.

The revelation is that during the entire time I have not even considered the possibility of Charmaine being asleep at 10:45pm. I just called and expected her to pick up. I have entirely assume my living standard as that of Charmaine's, and, as it has turned out, it is entirely wrong. I have made the exact mistake I criticize my dad: to assume oneself as the center of the universe. But no human being is ever the center of the universe, and I should have known that. I feel terrible for being such a hypocrite. One can boast oneself; but when one has done something wrong, one should also admit to the mistake.

Perhaps this may seem extremely trivial, but it is in the most trivial moments of life one finds the most profound expression of one's character. Character is never from moments of consciousness and deliberation; it is always from moments of naturalness and non-deliberation, like when one makes a simple call to a friend, or when one eats breakfast.

My apologies, Charmaine. I will do better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home